Overcoming barriers to reduce inequalities: Policies to leave no one behind and achieve greater equality
ORGANZIED BY: THE GERMAN FEDERAL MINISTRY FOR ECONOMIC COOPERATION AND DEVELOPMENT (BMZ), THE ASSOCIATION OF GERMAN DEVELOPMENT AND HUMANITARIAN AID NGOS (VENRO) AND THE INTERNATIONAL LABOUR ORGANIZATION (ILO)
Reducing inequalities (SDG10) is essential for overcoming extreme poverty (SDG 1) and a successful implementation of the 2030 Agenda as a whole.
Many countries experience high and increasing inequalities. A reversal of this trend is not in sight. Therefore, it is paramount to take political action towards reaching this central goal of the 2030 Agenda. Strong social protection and redistributive policies significantly reduce inequality within countries. Therefore, it is essential to develop overarching strategies, build universal social protection systems as well as assess and increase redistributive capacities. These measures have to ensure that no one is left behind and equitable access to protection against risks and against poverty for all people is guaranteed.
The panel will discuss the most persistent barriers to a sustained reduction of inequalities and the contribution of fiscal and social protection policies to overcome inequalities worldwide.
Refreshments and snacks will be served.
Please confirm your participation by July 11 to Ms. Johanna Hauf ( email@example.com), stating your name, position and affiliation.
For further questions, please contact Ms. Johanna Hauf or Ms. Sonja Grigat ( firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Dr Maria Flachsbarth Parliamentary State Secretary German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
- Dr Luise Steinwachs Deputy Chair Association of German Development and Humanitarian Aid NGOs (VENRO)
- Pedro Conceição Director Office of the Human Development Report, United Nations Development Program (UNDP)
- Dr Chiara Mariotti Inequality Policy Manager Oxfam Great Britain
- Wolfgang Schiefer Senior Multilateral Cooperation Specialist International Labour Organization (ILO)
- Roberto Bissio Coordinator Social Watch and Global Coalition for Social Protection Floors
- Esther Lusepani (tbc) Permanent Secretary Namibian Ministry of Poverty Eradication and Social Welfare
Host: Dr Minu Hemmati